JungleMail provides several recipient sources to send your newsletters to. In this tutorial, we'll overview each source and its unique differences.
Selecting a recipient source
1. Open JungleMail and go to the Recipients step. It should be opened by default.
2. In the Recipient source section, select one of the six available sources.
SharePoint, AD Groups
Enables sending to:
- SharePoint users and user groups
- Active Directory (AD) security and distribution groups
- Dynamic distribution groups (requires EWS connection)
- Office 365 groups (requires EWS connection)
To select recipients for this source:
1. Select SharePoint, AD Groups, then select Add.
2. Select a group type and enter the email address, then click OK. You can also click the book icon to search for addresses.
This recipient source option allows sending to email addresses from the JungleMail Subscribers list. Note that you can create a view in this list and then select this view in JungleMail to filter recipients.
Enables sending to email addresses in a SharePoint list. Sending to recipients in other site collections is also supported under the following conditions:
- the target list must be on the same SharePoint farm
- a job author must be granted View Only or higher permission to the target list
Click Browse to select the SharePoint list containing your recipients. Then, check if the Recipients column points to the column with email addresses. Note that you can also use recipient filtering by creating a list view and then selecting it in JungleMail.
Supported types of recipient list columns:
- Single line of text
- Multiple lines of text
- Person or Group
- Lookup (to one of the 3 types above)
Several email addresses can be present in one column if they are separated with a comma or semicolon. Supported email address formats are as follows:
- "Full Name" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Full Name <email@example.com>
You can enter email addresses separated by comma or in a new line. If the email address has a display name (e.g., "Mike" <firstname.lastname@example.org>), you will be able to use this name for a mail merge.
Using group email addresses
A relatively common scenario we observe in JungleMail usage is selecting the Email addresses source and then entering the email address of a distribution group (list). Although JungleMail will be able to resolve and send an email to each recipient in the group, there are important benefits that you will miss in such a configuration.
If you want to send to a group email address and you select Email addresses as a recipient source:
- You will NOT be able to send newsletters containing Dynamic Content.
- Likewise, mail merging - displaying the recipient's name in the newsletter body (e.g., Hello, [John]) - will NOT be available.
- Section Visibility - another feature dependent on metadata - will not work properly.
- You will NOT be able to see in advance the number of recipients and emails that will be sent. Instead, JungleMail counts the whole group as 1 recipient.
- Analytics reports, too, will be inaccurate: all the opens and clicks will be attributed to 1 user (group email address).
- If any recipient in the group opts to unsubscribe from the newsletter, the whole group will be unsubscribed.
To avoid the issues listed above, if you are sending to a group email address, we highly recommend selecting SharePoint, AD groups as a recipient source.
With JungleMail, you can easily target recipients segmented by their activity (or inactivity) in your previous newsletter. It's a great way to send a targeted follow-up message. For detailed instructions, see Sending follow-up newsletters.
If you have recipients in Microsoft Dynamics 365, you can establish a connection with JungleMail to send newsletters directly to your Contacts, Leads or other lists directly without importing them. For detailed instructions, see Dynamics 365 Connector (Enterprise feature).
Another way to send to Dynamics 365 contacts is by configuring a SharePoint external list that retrieves data from an SQL server. Note that in this case, you will have to select SharePoint list for your recipient source.