JungleMail 4 | Sending newsletters
Note: this tutorial applies to JungleMail 4 and earlier only. If you are working with JungleMail 5 or later, this tutorial does not apply to your version of JungleMail.
JungleMail jobs are used to send group e-mail messages in SharePoint or schedule them to be sent later. The simplest way to create a JungleMail job is by using the main JungleMail dialog, as described below.
1. Navigate to the contact list.
2. Select the recipients that you want to include. If you want to include all the recipients in the current view, do not select any; the entire current view will be used.
3. Run JungleMail by clicking Group E-mail button in SharePoint ribbon bar (JungleMail User menu site feature should be activated).
4. A new JungleMail group e-mail job window will pop up. In the Recipients page, you can edit all the recipient-related information.
- Group e-mail (job) title, it will be automatically copied to e-mail subject.
- From and Reply-To addresses.
- The recipient source by default is Custom SharePoint list and is populated automatically using the current URL. If necessary, you can click Browse and specify a different SharePoint list. You can also use Subscribers list or enter SharePoint and AD groups.
- In the Recipient list column drop-down list, select the SharePoint list column containing e-mail addresses of the recipients.
- The Send group e-mail to section allows you to edit the list of the recipients. The number next to the Selected recipients option shows how many recipients have been selected. By selecting Filter recipients by view you will be able to filter the intended recipients based on the preferred SharePoint view. If you select the 'All recipients from the list' option, the group e-mail job will be sent to all the contacts from your SharePoint list.
Additional conditions allow you to specify what topics your recipients should be subscribed to.
- If necessary, you may also specify additional recipients of the current group e-mail in the 'Additional recipients' section.
- Exclusion filters allow you to exclude certain recipients. You can exclude recipients from previous jobs, recipients in other lists’ views, or by simply entering emails. You can use *@domain.com to exclude all matching emails.
- By ticking the 'Remove duplicate e-mail addresses' box you will make sure that the same recipient does not receive duplicate e-mail messages if the address occurs repeatedly in the SharePoint list.
- In the 'Total items' line, you will see the total number of selected items, e-mails to be sent, the number of blacklisted (unsubscribed) recipients to whom the e-mail will not be sent, and the number of
contacts who have beenexcluded from the list.
After you select all the intended recipients and set the necessary filters, click 'Next'.
5. In the E-Mail Content page, you can load an existing e-mail template or create a new group e-mail job content, edit the subject line and attach additional files. By using the links in the upper right-hand corner of the window you can save the e-mail content as a template for future use or save the entire group e-mail job as a draft. You can then find all your templates under the Templates manager tab and all draft group e-mail jobs under the Drafts tab. Some of the key content editing functions offered by JungleMail are as follows:
- Insert the necessary SharePoint columns by clicking the 'Columns' button, you can also insert a repeater that can populate your email body with data from other SharePoint lists. Please refer to
the chapter4.7 for more information on how to use repeater.
- Insert embedded or linked pictures using the 'Image' button.
- Edit the content of your group e-mail job in HTML – simply click the 'Source' button.
- Insert the subscriptions link by clicking the 'Subscription' button. Please note, however, that for the subscription link to function properly you have to configure the subscription feature in advance, see Subscription link configuration guide.
When you are satisfied with the content of your group e-mail job, click 'Next'.
6. The Preview page allows you to see the content of your group email job as it will be sent to each recipient. For example, you can use this option to check whether the customer-specific data (the first name in this example) is displayed properly in any of the created e-mail messages. You can also test-send any of the previewed e-mails to see what it will look like in a particular e-mail program. To do this, specify an e-mail address in the upper right-hand corner and click 'Send'. When you are ready to proceed with sending the group e-mail job to the recipients, click 'Next'.
7. In the Send/Schedule page you can edit the sending preferences, as described below:
- In the 'When to send' section you can indicate whether the message should be sent immediately or at a specified date and time in the future.
- You can start a workflow for each email sent in 'What to do?'.
- You can set up recurrence for the job.
- In the 'Send blind copy (BCC) to' field you can specify one or several e-mail addresses that will receive a blind copy of your message.
- If the checkbox in the 'Group e-mail report' section is checked, the job author will receive a report after the group e-mail job is sent.
- By checking the boxes in the 'Tracking' section you can track how many recipients opened your email and clicked the links in it. If you are using the default settings, those checkboxes will be disabled. In order to use this function, you have to configure the tracker settings, see JungleMail tracker configuration guide.
Having set all the sending options, click the 'Send group e-mail' button.
8. Upon clicking the 'Send group e-mail' button you will be re-directed to the History & Monitoring tab, where you will see your current campaign among the running and scheduled jobs. Use the 'Refresh' button to monitor the current state of the job.
After the group e-mail job is sent to the recipients, your campaign will be placed among the completed jobs. You can later re-use the list of the recipients and/or the content of your group e-mail job in your future group e-mail jobs by checking the respective checkboxes and
9. In the Premium version of the program, you can open the Analysis & Reports tab to check the tracking statistics. Here you will see the total number of e-mail messages sent, the number of the recipients who opened your email message and clicked the links in it as well as the number of the recipients who unsubscribed from your list.
By clicking the 'Follow Up' button you will see the detailed information including the following information:
- The timeline of email opens, link clicks and unsubscribed recipients.
- The left column shows the total number of e-mail messages sent, the number of the recipients who opened your email message and clicked the links in it, the number of the recipients who unsubscribed from your list, and the number of the recipients who did not take any action. The arrows next to the figures show the KPI value and your KPI goal, which can be set in SharePoint Central Administration. The arrows are red if your set KPI goal has not been reached and green if it has.
- The drop-down lists in the right-hand side area provide detailed information on the total number of link clicks, email opens, unopened emails and unsubscribed recipients. By clicking each category you can see all the respective recipient addresses. To include the recipients from a particular category in the next group e-mail job simply check the necessary checkboxes and click the 'Load Recipients' button.