Newsletter approval (Enterprise feature)
Newsletter Approval enables the relevant people in your organization to go over a newly created newsletter and to approve or reject it before sending. In this JungleMail tutorial, you will learn how to enable and configure the newsletter approval process.
Note: this feature is only available in JungleMail Enterprise.
1. Enable workflow functionality in SharePoint
1. On the root site, go to Site settings.
2. Under Site Collection Administration, select Site collection features.
3. In the feature list, find and activate the Publishing Approval Workflow feature.
2. Configure a new workflow
1. On the root site, go to Site contents.
2. Select the JungleMail Jobs list.
3. In the List tab, select Workflow Settings > Add a Workflow.
4. Under Workflow, select Publishing Approval and give this workflow a name. Then, click Next.
Note: if you're using SharePoint Server 2013, the built-in Approval - SharePoint 2010 workflow is also available.
5. In this step, configure workflow settings: assign the users who will approve newsletters, the due date for the tasks etc. It is essential here to enable the Content Approval box so that the approval status is automatically updated once the workflow
Important: if you check the End on Document Change box, make sure to also check the This workflow is terminated when item changes box in JungleMail settings, and vice versa. Otherwise submitting a newsletter for approval will result in an error.
3. Enable the workflow in JungleMail
1. Open JungleMail settings.
2. Check the Enable Campaign Approval and select the workflow for the drop-down menu.
How Newsletter Approval works
Once Newsletter Approval has been enabled, a job author can go through the newsletter building steps, but he will not be able to send the newsletter. Instead, the Submit for Approval button will be displayed.
Clicking the button starts the approval workflow for this newsletter. Users assigned to review the newsletter will receive an email notification. Clicking on the newsletter title at the bottom of the email opens newsletter content for previewing. Clicking on the Open this task button at the top of the email opens a workflow task page.
In the workflow task page, a user is given a range of actions related to the approval task.
- Approve: approves the task. By default, all the assigned users have to approve their tasks before it's submitted for sending, but you can change this setting while editing the workflow in SharePoint Designer. You can also assign a user group and uncheck the Expand Groups box in workflow settings so that approval by the first user is sufficient to submit the content for sending.
- Reject: rejects the task. If the End on First Rejection box is checked in workflow settings, this action rejects the newsletter immediately. If not, workflow remains active until all the assigned users complete their tasks.
- Cancel: closes the task page.
- Request Change: creates a new task for the job author and sends an email notification, asking to make changes to newsletter content. Once the job author finishes this task, a new approval task is created for the user who requested changes.
- Reassign Task: allow a user to reassign the task for another user. Please note that this user must have the necessary access to JungleMail.
In JungleMail, newsletters waiting for approval are displayed in the History & Monitoring tab, under Pending Approval Jobs. Users can click on the newsletter title to preview the content, edit or cancel the campaign, and click the In Progress button to get to the workflow task page.
Approved newsletters are moved to the Running & Scheduled Campaigns section and queued for sending at the specified time.
Rejected newsletters are moved to History & Drafts section, Rejected tab. You can hover over the newsletter row to see further actions: Load content, Load recipients, Copy and Edit.